This is not your average lemonade. Instead of the usual white sugar-laden overly sweet beverage, this recipe uses coconut sugar to make a simple syrup that is infused with mint leaves and lemon peel. The result is a thick syrup with a deep flavour and colour…almost like molasses. Coconut sugar is naturally less sweet than white refined sugar so this lemonade leans more to the tart side.
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 1/2 c water
- 8 mint leaves, plus more for serving
- Peel from 1 organic lemon
- 1 2/3 freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 organic lemon, sliced
- 2 tbsp. mint leaves, rough chopped
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut sugar and water. Add mint leaves and lemon peel. Bring mixture to a light boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat. Let cool before using.
- In a large pitcher half-filled with ice, add 2 cups water, lemon juice, simple syrup, mint, and lemon slices. Stir to combine. Serve over ice.
- Garnish with mint leaves and lemon slices.
Join my mailing list.
Get Started! Add your name and email to begin getting exclusive, high-quality insights and tools around nutrition, lifestyle and mindset from Jess delivered right to your inbox!