I came up with this quinoa bowl/salad hybrid because although it’s Spring, I can’t quite bring myself to eat a real salad while it’s still wet and miserable. To find a nice balance between raw, crunchy, warm and comforting, I mixed roasted squash and warm quinoa with pea shoots, orange, crunchy pumpkin seeds and a sunshine-y lemon thyme vinaigrette.
- 1/2 c quinoa, uncooked
- 1 1/4 c water
- 1 acorn squash, peeled and cubed
- a few glugs of avocado oil for roasting the squash
- 1 large orange, peeled, sectioned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- one handful toasted pumpkin seeds
- 50 g pea shoots
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 c fresh thyme, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel, remove seeds and cube the squash. Toss squash with avocado oil, salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes.
- Add quinoa and water to a saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer until water has evaporated and quinoa is cooked and fluffy.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare the dressing by mixing all ingredients together in a mason jar. Adjust to taste.
- Once quinoa and squash are cooked toss with pea shoots, orange and pumpkin seeds. Mix in desired amount of dressing.
Join my mailing list.
Get Started! Add your name and email to begin getting exclusive, high-quality insights and tools around nutrition, lifestyle and mindset from Jess delivered right to your inbox!