For me, if I’m going to cook it has to be an all-in-one dish and take less than 30 minutes because:
1) I’m only ever cooking for one and can’t be bothered to make something elaborate
2) I’m too lazy to cook multiple dishes for one meal
3) I don’t have a lot of free time to spend in the kitchen
So anything ‘one-pot’ or ‘casserole’ is my go-to. My criteria for a nutritious one-pot meal is that it has a protein, a starch, a leafy green and at least one other vegetable but ideally a colourful variety. This One-Pot Pork Enchilada bowl hit all of those and really hit the spot.
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 35m
- Total Time: 45m
- Serves: 5 people
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- dash of wheat-free asafoetida powder (optional)
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 c chicken stock
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 c rice
- 1 head of kale, washed, deveined and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, rough chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan on the stovetop on medium heat and add the avocado oil. Add the garlic and onion and let simmer for 10 minutes or so. Discard onion and garlic solids.
- Season pork with salt and pepper. Add pork and cook for a few minutes until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add peppers and carrots and gently fry for 4 minutes. Add the kale and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the pork back to the pan along with spices, uncooked rice, tomatoes and stock to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
Join my mailing list.
Get Started! Add your name and email to begin getting exclusive, high-quality insights and tools around nutrition, lifestyle and mindset from Jess delivered right to your inbox!
Please share with your friends: